Monday, March 12, 2012

New Avengers Non-Sense

I'll make this short.  I was a big fan of the first volume of New Avengers.  The tie-ins with Secret Invasion were great, but this volume went from not bad to terrible in about 10 issues.  I'm currently in the middle of the back and forth arc of Sgt. Fury in 1959 and Mockingbird being shot (...spoiler alert).  Taken together, there's no cohesion yet, I see no reason why these stories should be done back to back in this book.  They don't transition into each other at all.  However, it's slightly a different story taken separately, on the side of the New Avengers, not bad but going nowhere currently.  On the side of Sgt. Fury, furiously terrible.  Here's why:  Chaykin's art on it blows.  I can respect his earlier works but this is plain shit.  His panel layouts are terrible on some pages and make no logical progression.  Not only that, but Bendis DESTROYS these characters of old.  None of these characters should be together, it makes no sense, and there's no fun chemistry.  Kraven is completely taken out of character as are most of the rest.  I'm quite disappointed, I was hoping this was one that I wouldn't agree with the reviews but I'm far from impressed at this point.  I'll push through, I'm going to catch up before Avengers vs X-men (no matter how much I already rant about it and will no doubt rant about it while reading it).



Example of illogical panel progression:

Victor Creed (Sabretooth) goes from laying completely down, picking up the kraut and holding him up in the air, to the kraut being on his knees, Creed towering over him and ripping his face to pieces in a matter of 3 (4 if you count the reaction/suprise panel) panels.  Fucking weak and wrong.




Bonus Panel:


What are you doing Chaykin?

No comments:

Post a Comment