Sunday, October 2, 2011

Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave

*SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT*

So I got the chance to finally read the new Ultimate Spider-Man.  I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I find if people would stop worrying about the shift to the new kid taking on the legacy (the few I've heard complain) they'd find an enjoyable book.

BUT

Me being me, I do have a bone to pick.  When it comes to detailed explanations on how powers work, I'm not really that obsessive.  I can take it or leave it for the most part.  While I do enjoy those explanations, they aren't entirely necessary.  Say it's a God character or a cosmic character, fine, the whole purpose is their worlds haven't been explained in terms of science (or possibly at all).  But if the premise of deriving your powers comes from science, you damn well better not have a power that makes no sense.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about yet, let's look into the last panel of the first book.


Yes, Miles Morales (our new web slinger) can camouflage himself AND his clothes.  I would like an explanation for this please.  Now I know I'm being nit picky and to do otherwise would do nothing but make the book difficult to write if only his own skin would camouflage but this is a book of scientific origin and confounds me how this would work.  It wouldn't be hard to write that only his skin would change and his new suit would have the ability to change with it.  But why regular Joe street clothes change when not part of his biology (or somehow enhanced like the suit would be) are affected by this power I am confounded.

I don't know.  I'm not furious by it, just quite confused.

I'll just keep telling myself, it's a comic.  Miles Morales doesn't exist in our world and he doesn't go by our rules no matter how hard Marvel still tries to make him relatable.

Anyways, check out the first two books.  They aren't perfect or chocked full of action, but they are still a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment