Sunday, June 27, 2010

Not so Super, Superman

First, a welcome back all.  Rather, welcome back to myself.  To explain my absence would take some time so I'll just say that I went crazy (Psycho Pirate got a hold of me), and then I moved to a different state.  A lot of changes and for me and you, a lot of catching up to do.  But lets talk current events first and foremost (and no, i will no go Invisible Woman on you this time and disappear):

Superman.  Lets break it down:

Super - an article of a superior quality, grade, size, etc.

Man - an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or woman.

So by this, you could assume that Superman has powers beyond humankind physically.  But take a step back and look at the book Superman (Action comics and all that jazz).  Is the book of superior quality now?  I would say no.  Continuing on to man I will tell you why:

Man is an adult, man has grown and changed from being a boy.  Has Superman the character?  Yes.  Has the Superman the book?  No.  I'm specifically talking about what just ended, the year long New Krypton arch.  It finally culminated in the overly hyped up War of the Supermen.  I enjoyed the issues leading up to the final farce on funny books.  However DC did a comic book cop out.  They hit the giant Superman reset button on Dan Didio's desk.  Everything returned to exactly how it is and always will be with superman.  Hell, Chris (this events Nightwing and illegitimate son to Superman/legitimate son to Zod) reverted back to a kid within the phantom zone and forgot about the events.  Just like Chris, I will forget the events of this arch as they didn't mean anything.  Superman didn't evolve into anything more than it ever was and there was no risks taken by DC.

I admit I didn't read all the books leading up to the War, but I read most and enjoyed them and hoped that it would have a profound effect on things (maybe even pull the meta human society into the whole shebang and kill off a couple JLA members).  But no, it didn't evolve, it didn't change, it didn't grow up in the end.  It was just a practice in futility to make large scale event mean something in the comic book universe.

On the other hand....

We do have Blackest Night/Brightest Day.  Sure a lot didn't change, but things aren't exactly the same (A Black Aqualad?  Excited I am) and it's a much more profound story in the DCU (hopefully with lasting results).

I'm just a little irked that i finished the lackluster finale of 

WAR OF THE SUPERMEN (Ominous...I know)

And all i got was Superman 700: "Oh Lois, I love you, I'm glad shit never changes around here."

That said as well, I haven't read all of 700, specifically the prologue to Grounded.  Probably as in "I'm Superman, I'm grounded to this lackluster world of events where nothing really happens."

Alright.  I do have some positive things to write about coming up.  Here's whats to come:

Grizzly Shark and Sea Bear (really?)
L.E.G.I.O.N.
Doom Patrol
Animal Man (both of Morrison's runs)
Eclipso (out of left field 'm'rite?)
And many more things...maybe I'll write about The Twilight Saga (next post...)

No comments:

Post a Comment